Now that the weather has started to turn cooler it doesn’t mean your grill is out of commission until next Summer. In fact, grilling during Fall and Winter can be an easy and healthy healthy way to make your meals!
I decided to make some veggie burgers and to mix it up a bit, topped them with the most delicious chipotle coleslaw on the planet. Rich in flavor and spicy, these burgers had a delicious kick and left us craving more the very next day!
Veggies Burger Recipe
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and quartered
- 2 pounds peeled baby red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- Chipotle Coleslaw (recipe below)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in the bowl of a food processor; process until finely chopped.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes. Add onion, and cook for 2 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain; cool 10 minutes. Place potato mixture in a large bowl; mash with a potato masher or fork. Stir in chickpea mixture and breadcrumbs; cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Divide potato mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty (about 2/3 cup mixture). Heat grill over medium high and ensure grill is clean, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Add 4 patties to grill; cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned and heated through. Repeat procedure with remaining patties.
- Top with chipotle coleslaw
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chilies in adobo, finely chopped. I actually use more like 5 because we like it extra spicy
- 1/2 cup mayo (add more if you like it saucier. 1/2 cup makes just enough to lightly coat)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded very thin
- 4 cups red cabbage shredded very thin
- 1 cup red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Make the dressing first. Combine the chipotle peppers, mayonnaise and lime juice
- In another large bowl, combine the cabbages and onions Drizzle the dressing over the top, sprinkle cilantro over the whole thing, and toss well to combine.Season with salt and pepper as desired and chill until ready to top your burgers.
Posts on this site may contain an affiliate link. Please see full disclosure policy for more information.