Each Thursday during the Fall and Winter The Centsible Family will showcase a slow cooker (crock-pot) recipe that one of the Mavens of Money have tried and tasted. By sharing we hope you will be able to save a little time during the week as we all know saving time is just as valuable as saving money. And you will be able to enjoy a hot meal at the end of your day.
This week’s recipe is French Onion Soup by Charlotte at Stretching Your Budget that is sure to get your taste buds going! Prep time should be about 25 minutes and will cook for 9.5 hours on low or 4.5 hours on high.
- 3 large onions, sliced (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) ready-to-serve beef broth
Cheesy Broiled French Bread
- 8 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Mix onions and margarine in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 30 to 35 minutes or until onions
begin to slightly brown around edges.
- Mix flour, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir flour
mixture and broth into onions. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to
9 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until onions are very
- Prepare Cheesy Broiled French Bread. Place 1 slice bread on top of
each bowl of soup. Serve immediately.
Are you in need of a slow cooker or crock pot for this recipe? Amazon has Crock-Pot SCCPVL600S Cook’ N Carry 6-Quart Oval Manual Portable Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel or Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker available with free shipping. In addition Walmart has Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6-Quart Slow Cooker or Crock-Pot 6.5-Quart Countdown Slow Cooker with free shipping to store.
Posts on this site may contain an affiliate link. Please see full disclosure policy for more information.